Amira® is a powerful, multifaceted 3D software platform for visualizing, manipulating, and understanding biomedical data from tomography, microscopy, MRI, and more techniques.
With incredible speed and flexibility, Amira delivers advanced 3D imaging workflows for specialists in a broad range of research areas, from molecular and cellular biology, to neuroscience and bioengineering.
- 2D and 3D image filtering
- Deconvolution and Z-drop correction
- Interactive / automatic slice alignment
- Image registration and morphing
- Interactive / automatic segmentation
- Skeletonization and tracing of neural and vascular networks
- Dedicated editors for segmentation, tracing and fusion
- Surface generation
- FEM grid generation
- Tensor computation
- DTI tractography
- Powerful scripting interface
- Multicore support for many modules
- Interactive high-quality volume visualization
- Orthogonal and oblique slicing
- Volume and surface rendering
- Isolines and isosurfaces
- Multichannel imaging
- Image fusion
- Vector and tensor visualization
- Support of structured and unstructured grids
- Molecular visualization
- Volume, area, and distance measurements
- Densitometry (gray value statistics)
- Filament network statistics
- Co-localization analysis
- Component separation, counting and shape analysis
- Arithmetic operations on images, vector fields, and unstructured grids
- Direct integration of the MATLAB® compute engine
- Video generation
- Advanced key frame and object animation
- Active and passive 3D stereo vision
- Virtual reality navigation tools
- Single and tiled screen display
The Amira software is organized in functional modules
consisting of a base package plus optional add-on packages
that allow you to optimize to customize the product to fit
your exact needs.
The Neuro Option provides tools for Diffusion Tensor
Imaging (DTI) experiments, including tensor visualization,
directionally encoded color maps (DEC) and fiber
tractography. In addition, this option supports brain
perfusion analysis on MR or CT time series data.
The Molecular Option adds advanced tools for the
visualization of molecule models. Combines hardwareaccelerated
volume rendering with a powerful molecule
editor and specific tools for complex molecular visualization.
The Quantification+ Option delivers high-level tools for
obtaining and visualizing advanced quantitative information
on 3D images. This option offers the whole range of
software tools needed to perform automated segmentation,
convolution, object separation, and to extract statistical and
The Skeletonization Option adds tools for
reconstruction, analysis, and skeletonized representation of
neural and vascular networks and their quantification with
regards to parameters such as segment length and
diameter. Supports skeletonization of very large image
The VR Option enables the visualization of your data on
large tiled displays or in immersive Virtual Reality (VR)
environments. Supports 3D navigation devices as well as
fast multithreaded and distributed rendering.
The Mesh Option adds tools for the generation of 3D
finite element (FE) meshes from segmented image data.
High-quality visualization of simulation results using scalar,
vector, and tensor field display modules.
The Very Large Data Option adds support for the
visualization of image data that exceeds the available main
memory of your computer using efficient out-ofcore data
management. Extends the use of many standard modules
such as orthogonal and oblique slicing, volume rendering,
The Developer Option allows you to create new custom
components for visualizing or processing data, file readers
or writers, using the C++ programming language. Includes
a development wizard for getting started quickly.
The Multi-Component Analysis Option: whenever
there is the need to analyze image stacks with numerous
similar components this option provides you with the
necessary tools. The modules of this option enable a
complete workflow, from generating the binary image by
using local thresholds, separating clustered items, up to the
extraction of shape parameters from them.