TERRA Field XRD Analyzer
Portable XRD/XRF has completely revolutionized geochemical exploration, mine grade control, metallurgical and process analysis, on-site HAZMAT inspections and in-field counterfeit pharmaceutical determinations. The TERRA’s high quality data and speed of analysis delivers quantitative real-time compositional chemistry, right at the point of the sample location, where you need it most.
Using a specifically developed direct excitation charge coupled device (CCD) “camera”, TERRA is able to collect X-ray photon data for both X-ray diffraction and X-ray fluorescence simultaneously. This is the result of the integrated camera’s ability to detect both photon position and photon energy at the same time. With energy resolution of ~200 eV (5.9 keV), TERRA makes XRF analysis as simple as viewing the software spectrum display.
- Easy Sample Preparation
TERRA radically simplifies sample collection for your X-ray diffraction experiments. Typically, a sample must be finely ground and pressed into a pellet in order to ensure a sufficiently random orientation of the crystals. TERRA’s patented sample vibration chamber eliminates this issue. Requiring a mere 15 mg sample, the vibration chamber’s convection process presents the instrument optics with multifarious orientations of the crystalline structure. This results in a superb X-ray diffraction pattern, virtually free of the problematic preferred-orientation effects encountered when using classic preparation methods. Due to its unique powder-handling system, nonmechanical goniometers, and lack of complicated moving parts, TERRA is extremely well suited for those applications where field portability and/or ease of use is at issue.
- Ruggedized internal 40 gb hard drive
- IP67, MIL C-4150J rugged case
- 4 hours field atonomy, hot swap batteries
Mining & Ores
- Iron Ore – Quickly analyze iron rich ore with Xpowder’s Reference Intenstiy Ratios to automatically generate quantitative compositions of the samples even when certain phases are completely absent – quartz, hematite, goethite, magnetite & more
- Calcite in Coal – Quantify calcite (CaCO3), a mineral identified as reducing the efficiency of the raw material fuel in a coal-fired plant, to improve efficiency and reduce carbon emissions
- Potash – Analyze potash for phase identification and semiquantitative analysis of identified minerals such as sylvite, halite, langbenite and leonite. For further refinement, Sietronics Siroquant is available
- Limestone & Cement – Easily perform quantitative analysis of common minerals associated with limestone – alpha-quartz, asbestos minerals, calcite, dolomite and more. In cases where the quarry contains various levels of dolomite, the TERRA quickly determines this mineral in the range of 0.50 to 9.0% with an error of only 0.02%.
- Mudlogging – Perform mineral ID and quantification on shale cuttings in the field for rapid feedback at drilling sites – simplify “chasing the vein” of a given mineral strata
- Pipelines – TERRA Smart Sense allows optimum peak-to-background performance to identify and quantify corrosion materials on pipelines; simultaneous XRF measurements give rapid identification of elemental constituents
- Easily reanalyze mine tailings to determine mill performance or evaluate historical projects
- XRD resolution: 0.25° 2θ FWHM
- XRD range: 5-55° 2θ
- Detector type: 1024 × 256 pixels – 2D Peltier-cooled CCD
- XRF energy resolution: 250 eV at 5.9 keV
- XRF energy range: 3 to 25 keV
- Sample grain size: <150 μm crushed minerals – (100 mesh screen, 150 μm)
- Sample quantity: ~15 mg
- X-ray target material: Cu or Co (Cu standard)
- X-ray tube voltage: 30 kV
- X-ray tube power: 10 W
- Data Storage: 40 GB – Ruggedized internal hard drive
- Wireless Connectivity: 802.11b/g for remote control from web browser
- Operating Temperature: -10 °C to 35 °C
- Weight: 14.5 kg with four batteries
- Size: 48.5 cm × 39.2 cm × 19.2 cm (19.1 in. × 15.4 in. × 7.6 in.)
- Enclosure: IP67, MIL C-4150J rugged case
- Field autonomy: ~4 hours (hot swap batteries)